Saturday, April 19, 2008

These Are Days

Raising boy children takes its toll on me some days.

Some days, there is only so much "Get off your brother!" I can take. And before you know it, I am threatening taking away their desserts and holding an early bedtime over their heads.

I know they are incredible creatures, capable of thoughts which amaze (and sometimes disgust) me.

I know they hold the keys to my heart even though I've asked them to pick up their Legos for the millionth time and it doesn't seem that way.

I see them excel at their given sports. Wyatt pitched in his baseball game last week and McRae earned a very coveted award at his taekwondo ceremony, along with a senior brown belt just today.

I know they know how to be sweet, I've seen it - the way they take care of their little sister and the nice compliments they give me on an almost daily basis.

I know they are good boys.

But.

But sometimes, their inability to be in the same room without yelling, "Let go of my neck," or, "Stop breathing my air," for more than 10 minutes can really get to me.

Boys. They are loud, smelly, weird and capable of speaking in a thousand accents and even more cartoon character voices. They play hard and they love hard. They nurture and destroy all in one fell swoop. They leap and they bound. They do not fancy sitting still.

While I struggle with understanding the way my boys are now, being 9 and 11-years-old, respectively, there is no doubt that with all the unfamiliar territory they heave in my direction each day, so do they bring a love I've never known.

So, for now, I'll keep repeating myself.

I'll say, "Please be kind to your brother," over and over again and I'll encourage them to solve their problems without being mean or using harsh words (or fists).

And I'll remember when they were little, like this:

And they would do anything for each other.

Because beneath their tough exteriors; I know they are, and forever will be, each other's best friend.

The little stinkers.

17 comments:

OHmommy said...

i cant get over how cute YOU are

Valarie Lea said...

Boys are definetly different from girls. :) But they are so darn sweet when they want to be. :)

Unknown said...

That was a darling post. My 2 year olds are like an old married couple. Fight, fight, fight all day long, but he love is so obvious.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Love and hate on each other, are what my daughters who are 18 months apart and currently 9 and 11,DO!

My son who is almost 15 always wished he had a brother!

Cute post. Cute kids. Cute mama!

alice c said...

My son does not have a brother but I am amazed at the strength of his friendships. The support and loyalty for his mates is incredible and I know that if he ever gets into a scrape they will all be there for him too.

LindaJ said...

I know they can be stinkers. But they are so cute....and you are a total hottie.

Just know that I have found myself in the past few months uttering the same words...take your hands off your sisters neck -Please stop mocking your brother- you two need to move away from each other- and we all breathe the same air.

It really is endless.

Run ANC said...

As a mom of 2 boys, thank you for this.

Oh, and Home Theater visited my blog too. I was all blushing at the comment of being "likeable", and now it seems Home Theater is two-timing me.

Scarlet O'Kara said...

There are times where I think that I want to try a third time for a boy...and then I watch my two girls playing so well...and I smile and say...I am so glad that I have girls!

Best of luck with your beautiful boys. I am sure that they will grow up to be handsome men. And hopefully they are loving to their sister.

Sunshine said...

My boys are very close, they have their moments, but I remind them often that friends may come and go, but your brother will be your best friend for the rest of your life.

I think they may already know that.

Mine fight over who is taking too long on the Wii.

*sigh*

Ann(ie) said...

um, how do you look the same in the picture as you do today???? I totally need you to email me your beauty secrets!

Unknown said...

I don't think this bickering is just reserved for the male sex.

In our little unit of joyous (cough, cough) harmony that I call our family, it's the two closest in age--mainly my 8-1/2 year old daughter and 11 year old son which are the problem.

I usually resort to guilt. You know, the kind your Mom got you with all the time.

"Guys, (fake sniffle), what if Mommy and Daddy die? She is the only sister you have and he is the only big brother you will ever, ever have. You must take care of each other...when your Dad and I die tragically of diptheria or tuberculosis or the grippe. Yeah, yeah." I sigh heavily, put hand to brow, and wander unstably around as if a lost soul.

Their eyes get teary. They gulp. They look contrite. And there is silence for a blessed five minutes. Ahhh, peace.

I walk around the corner and bust up laughing and call them something much stronger than "stinkers."

Ah, parenting. It's war. You've got to use the tools at your disposal, my friend.

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

First, that is an absolutely precious photo.

Second, I LOVED this post.

Family Adventure said...

Having an 11 and a 7 year old boy, I felt like you wrote this post for me. It was perfect - down to the picture. Gorgeous.

Heidi

Kyla said...

Oh! I love that photo!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

PRECIOUS PIC!

Boys are weird...end of story! (hee-hee)

Unknown said...

Carrie, I loved this post!