Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Power of Pink

"Mama, can I get pink hair too?" She asked me when she overheard my husband and I discussing the extension I was going to have put in place the night before my mom's surgery.

A nod from behind her told me that he approved and to go ahead and tell her yes. Parental telepathy or psychic powers from being together more than 20 years has served us well in the nonverbal communication department. So I said yes.

"It will help Grammie, right?"

And again, yes sprang forth from my lips and off we went to the salon to do the deed.


Despite her posture, she really is having fun and this doesn't hurt a bit - trust me, I know.



Please disregard all pale calves and feet in this photo. Focus on the cutie grinning in the mirror.


Check out my pink hair, mom.



And mine, too - check it out, mom.

Mom's surgery was the next morning. She was a super trooper, just like the ABBA song. After spending the 4th of July resting, healing, and resting some more she received the news she'd been waiting to hear regarding the lymph nodes and the "lump" that was removed from her breast: No chemotherapy needed, lymph nodes clear for signs of cancer, margins good.

This, this is the best news she could have heard.

And just like that, I got my mama back.

For you, Mama:


8 comments:

Jessica, Curt, Hunter, Ian and Emily said...

CONGRATS! That is great news!! Prayers to her (and you!) for her recovery!!!

And I LOVE the pink hair!!

coldspaghetti said...

LOVE IT!! And congratulations!

Carrie said...

I'm so glad that things turned out so well with your mom and her surgery. Although I can tell, just by the brief time I chatted with her last night that cancer wouldn't have stood a chance against her :)

Love the pink hair!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is the very best news!

Kyla said...

We're toying with the idea of letting KayTar get some of that temporary pink hair dye while it is still summer.

Glad everything went well! Hope recovery goes really well for her.

Lisa said...

Thrilled for you all...an answer to prayers.

Kendra said...

Congratulations! And that's great that your little girl got the pink hair too. Way to support Grandma. I'm so glad that you got the best possible results!

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Fabulous news!!!!

And pretty fabulous pink hair too. Now I want pink hair.