Thursday, February 04, 2010

Time Time Time

This week, I have been looking in the mirror at that piece of skin above my eye, noticing how it droops where it never did before.

Is this what aging means? I think to myself as I pluck yet another hair from my chin that doesn't belong there.

I remember Nanny, sitting at her kitchen table and holding her hands out before the young me. She would take my hand in hers, and pluck the skin from the top, watching it spring quickly back into place. Then, she would take her hand and do the same, noting that it slowly took it's place on the back of her hand, as if in slow motion. Definitely not in a hurry.

"That is what happens when you get old." She'd tell me.

I wonder if my eyelid would spring back into shape if I tried the same trick on it?

The other day my friend and I were walking. Talking, walking, talking, walking. The subject came upon birthdays and it took me, I kid you not, a long time to remember my age.

How old am I? I thought.

Seems I've almost gone a full year thinking I was still 35. Um, with my 37th birthday coming up in April, one can see how this is not a good thing. It's like I've lost an entire year. A year! That is not a good thing. And for some reason, 37 seems really, really, really old. Not geriatric old, just plain old. 36 seems fine. 37 seems too close to 40 - and I'm not digging it one bit.

You wouldn't either if you'd lost an entire year!

In a few weeks, my baby will be 13.

13!

I think, perhaps, I'm having an I-couldn't-possibly-be-the-mother-of-a-teenager crisis.

Ya think?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Embrace it! And then remind me of the same thing in two years.

Liz said...

I'm with ya. I'm 34 & Larry's 36. Our eldest turned 13 in August. We actually were giggling about aging this morning & said that we think we've finally reached the age where a mirror in the bedroom isn't sexy...it's just kinda gross now. I mean, things are drooping & sagging, there are a few more round things than there used to be. LOL! Aging kinda sucks, huh?

Anonymous said...

How would you like to be the GRANDMOTHER of a teen?

Hope it happens, someday!

xxxooomom

Anonymous said...

Just wait til he's 16 hahha
he'll be a great thirteen.
xoxoxo Rylee

Lisa said...

Almost 13. ALready? Where did that time go?

Just turned 37 a few months ago. And skin above my eyes are doing same thing!

Kendra said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who ever had to spend a few minutes remembering how old she is. I've seriously had to count a few times: Okay, so I was born in 1975... I think after I turned 30, my kids' ages became the only relevant ones to me. I think I'll just go with 30 for the rest of my life. It's easy to remember, and it doesn't scream "holding onto my youth" quite as much as 29 does.