Saturday, October 25, 2008

How to Get Silly Putty off Small Appliances

Ask and ye shall receive, right? Isn't that how it goes?

[And no, Linda, this is not all your fault, the Silly Putty was rampant in these here parts long before the sleepover last weekend]

If one of your lovely, lovely children should ever come your way with a remote control full of red Silly Putty, you would probably wrack your brain with the troublesome question of how in the world to remove the goo from each and every tiny button and down into the crevices of the device, like I did.

Or maybe you already have experience with this kind of thing?

After many minutes of scraping and rubbing - the Silly Putty and I were getting nowhere...fast.

What to do? What to do?

And then it came to me, one of those A ha! light bulb moments that make a mom feel like Wonder Woman (just like she was the Halloween of her 7th year, complete with red tights, black rain boots and homemade bracelets of foil). I'll use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab, I thought as I raced to the linen closet to retrieve the things I needed.

And you know what?

It worked.

It really worked!

Buttons that were covered, and I mean covered, in bright red (of all colors) Silly Putty were coming clean with little effort. The remote control would be saved. Oh, hallelujah of all hallelujahs! Life could go on . . .

And that, my friends, is how I got my voice back.

Thank you, Silly Putty.

17 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Silly Putty and Play-Doh have been banned substances in my house from Day 1. I figured that's why I paid for preschool! I've had to amend the list to include Silly String.

Anonymous said...

You're good, I probably would have gone with the toss it and buy a new remote method. I'll have to file this in the I'm sure I will need this in the near future file.

Tami said...

LOL! I love this, I am for sure filing this in my future needs file. Amazing where that stuff can end up at.

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

omg yes alcohol will always take off sticky stuff like that. i love it!

Kristin said...

It's a Heloise moment.

We all need them.

Momisodes said...

Oh man! We just had a silly putty incident too. Only it's in my carpet, and it's not coming out without scissors :(

Anonymous said...

I never would've known that! That stuff should be banned!

Glad you got your words back!

Whitney said...

Can I just tell you that I love the name of your blog!? HA! Hilarious!

rachel... said...

I've used fingernail polish remover to get tree sap from children's skin. We haven't yet had a Silly Putty incident. We had a Floam vs Carpet incident. Never again!

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Note to self..remember this post in case of a silly putty incident.. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! You saved our remote-it was orange!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I googled for this very thing, assuming I would have to amend to fit my problem (silly putty in the remote). Thanks so much for being the pioneer!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. It works for toy princess electronic phones too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this!! It works on computer keyboards too :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks so much!!! My son got some Silly Putty on his bright green iTouch case and it totally worked:-D!!!

hottie gal said...

got silly putty on 6 ruber braclets u can just use a finger nail scrubber and run the braclet under hot water while scrubbing

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this solution! I was close to a nervous breakdown trying to get putty off my remote...your site saved my life! THANKS!! :)