Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Baby, It's Hot Outside!


You know it's hot outside when:

The weatherman states in all seriousness that it is going to be "extremely uncomfortable sleeping conditions". No kidding. Those were his exact words, I swear.

You see little old ladies (accompanied by their little old men partners complete with the black knee socks underneath their sandals) wearing nothing but a bathing suit, large sunglasses and a floppy hat waving at every passerby on the side of the road. True story, happened mere moments ago on my way home from dropping Linda off at the airport.

The final coat of stain your husband is applying to the deck dries faster than he can brush it on.

Nothing but a pile of pico de gallo, a basket of chips and a bucket of Corona (con limone) sounds good.

The kids are all wrinkly from being in the water for so long (because it's too hot to be out of the water! Duh!).

Your entire family plans on sleeping in the travel trailer (with the air conditioning on full blast) until this little heat wave passes.

Summertime, summertime, sum, sum, summertime!

And this, sent to my husband's email from our local Red Cross Chapter:

Hello everyone,

We received notification from the Department of Emergency Management that 4 cooling locations will be open to the public in our county due to the extreme heat we will have over the next few days. If you know of anyone who may need this service please pass this information onto them. High temperatures can create a dangerous situation in which heat-related illnesses become likely. Remember to stay well hydrated. Drink plentyof water before becoming thirsty, avoid physical exertion and check on neighbors, relatives, and the elderly. Avoid leaving animals in cars where temperatures can soar well over one hundred degrees. Don't forget pets need shade and ample water too!

Makes moving to Iceland sound really, really enticing.

10 comments:

R said...

Yuck. Blah. Ugh. I hate summer. No, strike that. I hate summer weather.

Stay at home dad said...

Yes, when that happens in London you certainly do know it's summer!

Sarahviz said...

Today is one of those days I'm happy to be at work! Although I'm sure my mom (who is babysitting) has the kids locked up inside in the AC right now!

OhTheJoys said...

I once soaked my socks in ice water and put them on wet before bed in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because I spend so much of the year under a blanket of snow .... I love summer heat.

Crazy lady, I know.

Slackermommy said...

We are actually having a cold spell. It was 82 degrees here today!

Girlplustwo said...

i know. this whole global warming thing - it's getting very inconvenient.

hang in there. the corona sounds perfect.

Ann(ie) said...

Don't leave for Iceland without me. I pack fast!

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

omg sounds like our weather everyday LOL. its heat indexes of 107 now. fun. :(

Anonymous said...

Man, I live near the arctic and we are in a heat wave...it's 95 degrees here...how I miss the snow and the wind and Jack Frost.

I have no airconditioner, but I have the world's best fireplace.

Which of course serves no purpose right now since it feels like the fires of hell with in my house right now.

Ignore me...the heat makes my brain mush...I'm just gonna go suck on some ice and pant now....