Thursday, March 22, 2012

And They Said it Couldn't Be Done (Green Onions in the Windowsill)

If you've been to my house recently and I've pulled you into the kitchen to marvel at my indoor-gardening feat, I apologize, for you already know the wonder that exists in the little canning jar on my windowsill.

For those of you who haven't experienced this, here you go.
Yup. You really can grow green onions in your window sill, even if you have the least green thumb on the planet (like me)!

Really!

All I did was snip the tops of a bunch of green onions that I was using for a recipe down to the usual area where I would stop snipping and plunge the remaining roots into a cute little canning jar filled halfway with some pretty rocks collected from our travels (there are lots more where those came from) and voila! Within days, these puppies were at least 2 inches tall.

Now they are practically giants and I think I may need to string them together for fear that they may topple over into my lemon verbena kitchen soap.

I can't wait to use them in another recipe or a salad or heck, even just sprinkle them on top of some soup. And then do it all over again.

My little homegrown green onions.

You see...anything is possible.

1 comment:

Sarah Alston said...

I AM SO DOING THIS!!!!!! Thank you! <3