Friday, July 30, 2010

The World Didn't End

I took a break yesterday...from Facebook.

After much thought and consideration (and willpower, who knew the draw of the mighty laptop could be so strong?), I purposefully didn't log back onto the computer after working in the morning. It wasn't a planned hiatus. I didn't tell myself I'd be on a Facebook Diet all night. I just did it - mostly to see if my life would fall apart if I didn't know what all of my friends were up to.

Incidentally, just when did I get so nosy?

Turns out, the world didn't end.

Sure, a few people said things to me in regards to things they'd posted on the mighty Facebook (FaceDORK as my husband likes to call it - he doesn't have an account, he can't be responsible for his truly warped opinion) which only reminded me how dependant we are on social networking in order to connect with one another, but all in all, I don't think I missed anything.

And since when did I care?

Before Facebook, I was normal. I ate, drank, showered and did everything I do now without caring how my activities would look in a Facebook status. And life went on. Shortly after entering the Facebook vortex, all of that changed. I'm not saying Facebook is a necessarily bad thing, but when you start dreaming in status updates (not that I was, people, not that I was), it might be a good time to take a little break and remind yourself that yes, indeed, you can breathe without it. Plus, who cares what you had for breakfast anyway? And yes, it is possible to walk by the computer on your way to doing something else without checking Facebook.

Imagine, I watched an entire episode of Bethenny Getting Married without Facebooking about it - I love that show! Or remarking on how much her little punkin' of love looks just like her Daddy. Because does anyone really care what I think?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

And still, the world didn't end.

Point? Do I have one? If I did, it would go something like this: Facebook is great, but life is greater. While I enjoy the overstimulation and enormous amounts of information available through social networking, I don't want to live my life by it. I don't need to tell everyone everything, and I don't want to think about it when I'm not on it . . . unless I just took a ridiculously hideous drunk picture of my best friend and then, all bets are off .

I kid.

Sorta.

But not really.

Let's just save the pictures to blow up into life size posters on milestone birthdays, okay?

All in all, like most things, Facebook is good - in moderation. Share what you want. Say what you want. But save the really good stuff for your life because unlike Facebook, life doesn't sit there and wait for you to walk by and check on it. And you really might miss something important if you're staring into a screen instead of living your life.

That is, unless someone took a picture of it and put it on Facebook.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Love this. We give ourselves 'tech free' days. Usually on a Sunday because those are already quieter days for us. No TV, no computer, cell phones turned off, no radio. It is AMAZING what you can accomplish and the things you find to talk about and most of all the glorious QUIET that comes from having all the noise off.

Sarah Alston said...

I. LOVE. YOU.

And I love every single blog you write.

I think I shall repost this on Facebook.

:)

mamikaze said...

it's so freaking hard to do! kudos to you for resisting the pull if Facebook.

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Even tho' our office is NOT EVEN IN OUR HOUSE.. I still find myself up there.. like now. At least once a day. And here I'm telling YOU, on Facebook, to take a break! You already did.

lol

xxxooomom

ps.. no it's not in a tree, either

Kyla said...

When talking to Josh in the evenings, I start 50% of my stories with, "Did you see my post on FB?" LOL.

Unknown said...

Awesome post. I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook, heavy on the love side!