Friday, June 26, 2009

Tenderness

I let my kids stay up way too late again.

Sigh, this is the life we lead when the husband works extended hours at the firestation and I'm left to my own devices. Don't get me wrong, it isn't as if I let them eat peanut butter straight from the jar and run around in their underwear (only 1 of those things is true *wink*), but I do admit to being a bit more...relaxed, especially since it's summer break.

When 10:15 rolls around and I'm finally tucking them all in, I head into Katie's room for one last kiss and goodnight hug. She, of course, has invited every single stuffed animal, car, baby, whathaveyou, onto her bed and I have a difficult enough time just locating her small frame.

I mistake her for a Lightning McQueen car, which makes her giggle, and then we settle into our little routine.

I smooth my hand over her forehead and plant a big mama kiss on it.

I tell her what I always tell her, that she is the best girl in the world.

I tell her that she can do anything she sets her mind to.

And what does she say in return?

"I'm going to be the EASTER BUNNY! The first girl EASTER BUNNY!"

And I don't burst her bubble, because that just wouldn't be right.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Big dreams that girl has! Big ones.

Cassie said...

She is hilarious!

Alex said...

She's so adorable!

Kendra said...

That's beautiful! I wanted to be Smurfette for the longest time, and I'm so glad my parents never explained that you can't grow up to be an animated character.

Keep those dreams wide open!

Unknown said...

Summer is totally for goofing off and relaxing the rules! At least that is what I assure myself every night!