Friday, September 28, 2007

Falling

I know every cliche there is for describing Autumn, and none of them can stand alone and adequately describe the way this time of year makes me feel.

I see the light, which turns everything golden and warm, even when it's cold outside, streaming through the remaining leaves on the trees. It blankets the fields and forests in a glow that promises a rest. Rest from the work of growing and producing all summer long, until spring time when it all begins again. But for now, now they will rest.

I feel the air, it has a certain bite to it's atmosphere now that wasn't there a few weeks ago and as it swirls and dances and plucks up tiny, crunchy leaves in it's path, it almost speaks to me. Telling me secrets, whispering stories, weaving itself around and around and around in a quick, purposeful motion before settling down and disappearing almost as suddenly as it came. The air knows, the air feels the changes coming.

I smell the earthy scent of a ground letting go, preparing for a hibernation. The last of the flowers will bathe in the golden sunlight, the mums, the sunflowers, the other autumnal varieties, all happy and serene, not vivid and rushed like the flowers of May which are in such a hurry to show themselves. These signal the coming of quiet, of a chill, of frost and finally no more.

The ripeness of apples fallen from the trees which lay forgotten in a yard, the caramelly scent of Halloween candy as it is passed by in the store, the crackle of the first piece of dry wood placed on a fire, these are Autumn to me.

And I'm falling for it.

Falling for Fall.

October, 2005

14 comments:

Aleka's World said...

You obviously don't live in Texas! It's still in the 90s here! haha!
All kidding aside, that was a very beautifully written blog! And I do know what you're talking about. I lived on the east coast for a few years, and the Fall is absolutely the most gorgeous thing you can ever hope to see, at least in my opinion...

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

ugh you make me miss ohio when i read stuff like that! we have no fall here lol

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love driving through this one particular stretch of highway in RI that displays all the beautiful colors of the changing leaves. It's so gorgeous! Fall is such a wonderful season!

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Anonymous said...

This gave me goosebumps. I've really grown to love fall. I used to dread it because of my seasonal affective disorder. Thank God for antidepressants!

Tabba said...

Ah, yes.
This post made me jealous.
As Delaware is just southern enough for it to still be relatively hot (like in the 80's-90's ALL week).
I'm ready for cooler temps and this post is making me crave it so bad :)

Lisa said...

Yes, fall is wonderful. There's so much to do and experience.

Girlplustwo said...

what an amazing, amazing description.

Kyla said...

God, I wish we had fall. Poor BubTar is learning that it is fall now, so when people complain about the heat he says, "No! It is fall now. You just THINK it is hot." LOL.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me that I do, infact, love Fall. And one day I will be able to inhale the fall air and remember this.

Great pic too!

Unknown said...

It was 92 here two days ago! UGHHHH! Thanks for stopping by my place!

Mamacita Tina said...

In order for us to experience fall, we go up to the mountains. It's still upper 90s and leaves don't change until end of Dec. No kidding. The trees in our backyard didn't change until Jan. 1 last year.

But I do get to experience the candy smell of Halloween treats in the stores. Yum! Yeah, just what I don't need, temptation.

Andrea said...

I love your falling for fall idea!!! I do love fall too!!! :) And that picture of your boys in the leaves is Soooo cute!

painted maypole said...

beautiful. And all you northern bloggers are making me so jealous. It is 90 degrees here today.

Anonymous said...

Autumn has always been my favorite season. Perhaps because I tend to be a somewhat melancholy person, I can identify with the feeling of hunkering down, slowing down to enjoy the changing beauty around me. I would really miss it if we no longer lived in the Northeast.