Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Welcome to Sunny Washington State



I was giggling like a little schoolgirl as I tip-toed out onto our slushy porch in my bare feet after seeing the boys out the door to catch their school bus. I thought, okay - I'll take a picture of the snow so they have something to remember of it when they get home from school (because I mean really, what would be left of it by then?)


Guess I should start reading the Farmer's Almanac. According to it, this, and all the other significant "weather events" in our area this season, was expected. Expected on the last day of February, when just a few weeks ago we were camping at the beach and the temperatures broke records for being so warm.


My day was not without entertainment though - see, those are the people who bought our neighbor's RV. They were trying to pull a 35-foot-trailer out in a blizzard with a Nissan. I don't care how big the engine is, it's a Nissan. They're lucky it was snowing so hard and the mud and grass that they left in their wake before aborting the whole mission was quickly covered with a fresh blanket of the white stuff.


We did manage to venture out to run a few errands. It is so amazing how the snow transforms everything and makes it so beautiful and peaceful. Our trip consisted of tons of scenes like this one, which I took while driving. If I do say so myself, it isn't too bad and I was careful that there was no oncoming traffic.

I really didn't want to, but I let the kids go out and get cold and wet in the snow after dinner. I guess that's why I have a dryer, right?


And so, on this day, the eve before my son turns 10, we had the cold distraction of a few (gajillion) flakes falling from the sky. I even had to rewrite my snow documentation, as it was erased by bigger and better snow within the hour.
I hope that wherever you are, you and your families are safe and warm.

9 comments:

prrrof said...

Wow! We've had snow showers here as well, but nothing like that. At least the daffodils are coming up here...there's hope that spring will spring someday!

Anonymous said...

It is sunny and in the 60's here in SoCal! the snow looks so beautiful and peaceful! I love that you let the kids go out! So much fun for them.

carrie said...

Prrrof: Um, yeah - my tulips were sticking up in my pots just last week!

Go figure!

No school today, obviously, although they wait until 5am to announce it!

Carrie

Unknown said...

I miss the LOOKS of snow. Those pictures are gorgeous.

Grim Reality Girl said...

Pretty pics!

We had snow this morning and thunderstorms tonight... you gotta love it.....

Redneck Mommy said...

I live up north, perilously close to the North Pole.

Yet I still sigh with contentment when I see the white stuff. Nothing more beautiful than a tree covered in snow...

I would never make it where it is warm all the time...I'd just melt away...

Anonymous said...

Hey, what a great birthday surprise for our 1st-born grandson!

Loved the photos, especially the one of OUR road (proof why I didn't teach yesterday). Instead I was able to play in the snow all morning
w/ the family dog. HE cavorted like the puppy at heart he is.

Lovely diinner last night, too. Amazing to me that you had at least 3 more inches of the white stuff than we did... only a couple of miles away! AND yours didn't melt so quickly! Lucky.

Mamacita Tina said...

Someday, I've got to take the kids up to the mountains and experience snow. Absolutely beautiful pictures, made me shiver, brrrr.

OhTheJoys said...

Wow. It was in the 70's here today.