Thursday, October 19, 2006

Breakfast and a . . . Show?

This morning was Katie's first trip to the theater. No, not the movie theater, the real theater, with live actors, ushers, colorful sets, dancing and a soundtrack played entirely by one woman on an electric piano. The big time, the real deal, the precursor to all live theater to come.



We saw an adaptation of The Frog Prince with Katie's preschool at our local Storybook Theater. The company is a creative and highly-skilled group of actors who rewrite classic children's stories for their wee-aged audiences, incorporating plenty of comical lines and physical humor along with engaging stage antics to keep the kids laughing and interested. The end product is a good time for both young and old.

Katie and I had excellent seats in the 2nd row, which I highly recommend doing with a toddler because they can see everything! Since the Storybook Theater staff encourages participation we got in on plenty of that too. Katie yelled "kiss her" when prompted by the princess as to what she should do at the end of the play. She clapped along in perfect time with the ho-down at the end and appropriately at the end of each song.


Do I think she's ready to see Madame Butterfly? Ummmmm, probably not. But this is definitely a start.

6 comments:

Grim Reality Girl said...

She is so cute! What a wonderful age to go to the theatre!

Lisa said...

Oh yeah. What a cool idea.

Wes said...

That's excellent! My mum used to take me to lots of shows when I was a kid, and now I'm an adult I appreciate it that much more!

Unknown said...

How cute! I can't wait to take Leah to see those types of plays. We have a local theater that does kids plays and I'm itching to take her!!

Mamacita Tina said...

I love the children's theatre! It's amazing how good they are.

Kevin Charnas said...

YYYAAAAYYY!!!! She's so cute, SO CUTE!

I've worked in quite a bit of children's theater and if I could make a living at it, I would. There's not another such honest audience anywhere...Nor such an appreciative one.